More Americans Plan to Hit the Road This Summer
NEW YORK, June 12, 2014 – Travelzoo Inc. (NASDAQ: TZOO), a global Internet media company, revealed 40% of Americans plan to take more summer vacations this year compared with last year. More than one third (36%) of Americans plan to take two or more vacations this summer; this is an increase from 27% last year. A Travelzoo survey revealed short weekend road trips are the most popular summer vacation type (57%), followed by longer driving vacations (38%), long-haul air-travel vacations (29%) and short air-travel vacations (18%).
“Now is the perfect time to plan a weekend road trip as AAA recently announced that gas prices are dropping,” said Gabe Saglie, senior editor for Travelzoo. “In addition to saving on gas, we’ve found road trip deals that will save travelers up to 60% on regular rates for hotels, restaurants and attractions nationwide.”
Travelzoo Deal Experts researched and published outstanding deals for popular road trip destinations including Southern California, Chicago, New England and Florida. Travelers can easily find and book deals through the Travelzoo website or the free Travelzoo app for iPhone or Android.
Sample road trip deals include:
Spa Weekend - California
- Hotel: $109 -- Palm Springs 4-Diamond Resort w/Cocktails
- Attraction: $85 -- The Saguaro Palm Springs: Spa Day w/Pool, Reg. $157
- Dining: $50 -- Viceroy Palm Springs: Half Off Dinner & Drinks for 2
Chic City Escape - Chicago
- Hotel: $159 & up -- Downtown Chicago 4-Star Hotel, Save 45%
- Attraction: $4 -- Divvy: Bike Downtown All Summer w/24-Hour Pass
- Dining: $85 -- Yusho: Exclusive 7-Course Chef's Menu w/Cocktail
Nature Retreat – Maine
- Hotel: $99 -- Maine Seaside Escape for 2 incl. Credit, 40% Off
- Attraction: $59 -- White-Water Rafting Trips thru Summer, Reg. $129
Stylish Beach Getaway - Florida
- Hotel: $215 & up -- 4-Diamond Beachfront Resort, Save 20%
- Attraction: 20 Things to Do in Sarasota for $5 or Less
Additional survey statistics include:
Flying versus Driving
- 75% of Americans are willing to drive 4 or more hours for their summer vacations
- 44% of Americans are willing to fly 4 or more hours for their summer vacations
- 97% of Americans are planning a driving vacation compared with only 63% of Americans who are planning a flying vacation
- 55% of Americans will up to spend up to $300 on roundtrip airfare (per person)
Traveling With Kids versus Traveling Without Kids
- 56% of Americans with kids will not delay their summer vacation until fall to save money
- 78% of respondents without kids are more willing to travel in fall versus summer if they could save money
- 55% of Americans without kids will take a flying vacation compared with 31% of Americans with kids
- 76% of Americans with kids are willing to drive more than 4 hours for vacation
- 74% of Americans without kids are willing to drive more than 4 hours for vacation
Survey data was collected from 746 U.S. Internet users age 25+ who responded to an online questionnaire on May 6 and 7, 2014.
For more information about Travelzoo and to subscribe for free, visit www.travelzoo.com.
Travelzoo Inc. is a global Internet media company. With more than 27 million subscribers in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific and 25 offices worldwide, Travelzoo® publishes deals from more than 2,000 travel, entertainment and local companies. Travelzoo Deal Experts review offers to find the best deals and confirm their true value. In Asia Pacific, Travelzoo is independently owned and operated by Travelzoo (Asia) Ltd. and Travelzoo Japan K.K. under a license agreement with Travelzoo Inc.
Certain statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts may be forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934. These forward-looking statements may include, but are not limited to, statements about our plans, objectives, expectations, prospects and intentions, markets in which we participate and other statements contained in this press release that are not historical facts. When used in this press release, the words “expect”, “predict”, “project”, “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “intend”, “plan”, “seek” and similar expressions are generally intended to identify forward-looking statements. Because these forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, there are important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements, including changes in our plans, objectives, expectations, prospects and intentions and other factors discussed in our filings with the SEC. We cannot guarantee any future levels of activity, performance or achievements. Travelzoo undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this press release. Travelzoo and Top 20 are registered trademarks of Travelzoo. All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.